Meet Dr. Fiessinger
MEET DR. FIESSINGER
We are so fortunate to have Dr. Fiessinger join our physician staff here at Hacker Dermatology.
Her dermatology expertise in dermoscopy, pigmented lesions and melanoma are a perfect complement to the skills of our other physicians.
She joins Hacker Dermatology by way of Minnesota where Dr. Fiessinger served as an Assistant Professor of Dermatology at the University of Minnesota from 2018 to 2022. Additionally, Dr. Fiessinger is a nationally recognized expert in dermoscopy and teaches other dermatologists and physicians dermoscopy on her Instagram account (@DrDermoscopy).
Dr. Fiessinger is also an expert in pigmented lesions and melanoma having served as the lead dermatologist from 2018 to 2022 in the University of Minnesota’s Multidisciplinary High Risk Skin Cancer Team. Additionally, she has published and performed much research in the field of melanoma.
In addition to being closer to family, Dr. Fiessinger is excited to enjoy Delray Beach’s beautiful weather. When not enjoying time outside, Dr. Fiessinger enjoys reading, listening to true crime podcasts, and doing any and all Peloton workouts.
B.S. Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio Microbiology, Summa Cum Laude 2005 – 2009
M. D. Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 2009 – 2014
POST GRADUATE TRAINING
Transitional Year Internship Mount Caramel West, Columbus, Ohio 2014 – 2015
Dermatology Residency University of Minnesota, Minneapolis,Minnesota 2015 – 2018
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Assistant Professor Department of Dermatology 2018 –2022
ACADEMIC ADMINISTRATIVE APPOINTMENTS
Lead Dermatologist, Multidisciplinary High Risk Skin Cancer, Melanoma/Pigmented Lesions Clinic 2018 – 2022
CLINICAL/ HOSPITAL APPOINTMENTS
Staff Physician, Dermatology, University of Minnesota Health Maple Grove Clinics, Maple Grove, MN 2018 – 2022
Staff Physician, Dermatology, University of Minnesota Health Clinics and Surgery Center, Minneapolis, MN 2018 – 2022
Membership and Offices in Professional Organizations
WDS, Editorial Committee, Committee Member 2020 – 2022
WDS, Practice Advisory, Committee Member 2019 – 2022
AAD, Community Outreach, Committee Member 2019 – 2022
Association of Professors of Dermatology, Member 2018 – 2022
Women’s Dermatologic Society (WDS), Member 2017 – 2022
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS), Member 2017 – 2022
American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), Member 2015 – 2022
American Society of Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS), Member 2015 – 2022
Reviewer, Translational Product Development Fund Grant Program 2019 – 2022
Reviewer, Dermatologic Surgery Journal 2019 – 2022
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Resident Liaison 2016 – 2022
Cosmetic Resident Representative 2016 – 2022
Quarterly Highlights, Resident Director 2016 – 2022
Graduate Medical Education Committee Representative Alternative Resident for Dermatology Department 2016 – 2017
Research and Scholarly Activity Committee Resident Representative, Mount Caramel Health Systems 2015 – 2016
Student Interviewer, Admission Committee, CCLCM 2009 – 2014
HONORS AND AWARDS
- University of Minnesota
Mentorship Award, Women’s Dermatologic Society
Melanoma total body photography, Dr. Allan Halpern, Memorial Sloan Kettering 2018 – 2019
- Case Western Reserve University
Medical Student Departmental Award in Dermatology, University Hospitals Case Western Medical Center. Annual award for outstanding achievement within the Dermatology Department as a medical student. 2014
- Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Lerner College of Medicine Scholarship. Full tuition scholarship awarded to students at the Lerner College of Medicine. 2009 – 2015
- The Ohio State University
College of Arts and Sciences Certificate of Excellence in Scholarship. Highly competitive award given annually to a select group of students who have met the criteria of an outstanding grade-point average, 3.5 or higher, and candidacy for with honors in the Arts and Sciences, with research distinction, or achievement in other outstanding ways. 2008
- The Ohio State University
4th Place Presenter in the Health Sciences – Laboratory/Cellular Category, Undergraduate Research 2008
RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP
- Principal Investigator: Dr. Kevin Cooper, Lori Fiessinger Medical Student Researcher
Protocol: Contribution of MDSCs to the pathogenesis of melanoma.
Granting Agency: American Skin Association
2013 – 2014
- Principal Investigator: Dr. Kevin Cooper, Lori Fiessinger Pre-doctoral Trainee
Protocol: Determination of the role of IFN-gamma and MDSCs in the pathogenesis of melanoma.
Granting Agency: NIH, T32
2012 – 2013
- Principal Investigator: Dr. Kevin Cooper, Lori Fiessinger Medical Student Researcher
- Schwab G, Gerami P, Fiessinger LA, Nardone B, Liszewski W. A Comparison of the Breslow Depth and All-cause Survival of Male and Female Genital Melanomas. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021 Jan 28;S0190-9622(21)00216-4. Doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2021.01.061. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33516772
- Pathoulas JT, Farah RS, Fiessinger L, Mansh M. An opportunity for improvement: iPLEDGE policy changes during the coronavirus pandemic. Dermatol Ther. 2020 Nov;33(6):e14411. PMID: 33052629
- Mori WS, Behshad R, Shahwan KT, Fiessinger LA, Farah RS, Maher IA. Periocular Mohs Reconstruction by Lateral Canthotomy With Inferior Cantholysis: A Retrospective Study. Dermatol Surg. 2020 Jul 31. doi: 10.1097/DSS.0000000000002652. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32740212.
- Deitermann AM, Fiessinger LA, Miller DD, Jaimes JP. Polarizing-specific white lines in a clear cell acanthoma. JAAD Case Rep. 2020 Jul 11;6(9):829-831. doi: 10.1016/j.jdcr.2020.07.008. PMID: 32885010; PMCID: PMC7452362.
- Shah PV, Choi JN, Fiessinger L, Nardone B, Nguyen CV, Liszewski W. Utilization of immunotherapy among stage 4 melanoma patients: an analysis of the National Cancer Database from 2012-2016. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020 Jun 14:S0190-9622(20)31092-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2020.06.031. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32553633.
- Scott JF, Vyas R, Galvin J, Gotow E, Fiessinger L, Gerstenblith AT, Gerstenblith MR. Primary bilateral uveal melanoma: a population-based study and systematic review. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2018 Jul;46(5):502-510. doi: 10.1111/ceo.13129. Epub 2018 Jan 10. PMID: 29219254.
- Soler DC, Young AB, Fiessinger LA, Galimberti F, Debanne S, Groft S, McCormick TS, Cooper KD. Increased, but functionally impaired, CD14+ HLA-DRneg/low Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells in psoriasis; a mechanism of dysregulated T cells. J Invest Dermatol. 2016 Apr;136(4):798-808. PMID: 26807516
- Stallings AM, Velez MW, Fiessinger LA, Piliang MP, Mesinkovska NA, Kyei A, Bergfeld WF. ILK Index and Regrowth in Alopecia Areata. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2015 Nov;17(2):47-9. doi: 10.1038/jidsymp.2015.27. PMID: 26551947.
- Fiessinger LA, Petukhova TA, Gerstenblith MR, Honda K, McCormick TS, Cooper KD Quantification of MDSCs within primary melanoma tumors. Pigment Cell & Melanoma Research. 2013 Oct;26(6):950
- Zimmerer JM, Horne PH, Fiessinger LA, Fisher MG, Jayashankar K, Garcia SF, Abdel-Rasoul M, van Rooijen N, Bumgardner GL. Inhibition of recall responses through complementary therapies targeting CD8+ T cell- and alloantibody-dependent allocytotoxicity in sensitized transplant recipients. Cell Transplantation, 2013; 22(7), 1157-69. PMID: 23069206
- Zimmerer JM, Horne PH, Fiessinger LA, Fisher MG, Pham TA, Saklayen SL, Bumgardner GL. Cytotoxic effector function of CD4-independent, CD8+ T cells is mediated by TNF-alpha/TNFR. Transplantation, 2012; 94(11), 1103-10. PMID: 23222736
- Fiessinger LA, Petukhova TA, Gerstenblith MR, Honda K, McCormick TS, Cooper KD “Quantification of MDSCs within primary melanoma tumors.” Pigment Cell & Melanoma Research, Volume 26, Issue 6, 932–1019, November 2013
- Fiessinger LA, Domingo-Musibay E. Patient with advanced melanoma responds to pembrolizumab and multidisciplinary care. MHealth Consult. April 3, 2019. https://www.mhealth.org/consult/articles/2019/4/patient-with-advanced-melanoma-responds-to-pembrolizumab-and-multidisciplinary-care
- Fiessinger LA, Domingo-Musibay E. Melanoma: An update on treatment options. MetroDoctors: The Journal of the Twin Cities Medical Society. Volume 21, No. 2, March April 2019
- Fiessinger LA. Clinical Dermatology: Diagnosis and Management of Common Skin Disorders. 2nd edition. Mc Graw-Hill. Chapter: Nevi and Melanoma. Publication expected 2022.
- Fiessinger LA, Soutor C, Jaimes J. Clinical Dermatology: Diagnosis and Management of Common Skin Disorders. 2nd edition. Mc Graw-Hill. Chapter: Diagnostic procedures and dermoscopy. Publications expected 2022.
- Fiessinger LA. Review of Dermatology (Alikhan). 2nd edition. Chatper: Cosmetics. Section: Neurotoxins. Publications expected 2022.
Oral Presentations at Local and Regional Professional Meetings and Conferences
- Fiessinger LA. Mastering Acne – New Treatments and Guidelines. Acne and Hidradentitis Symposium, April 2020, Minneapolis, MN.
- Totoraitis K, Fiessinger LA. Atypical nevi in blaschkoid distribution in patient with BAP1 germline gene mutation. Minnesota Dermatologic Society, November 2019, Minneapolis, MN.
- Fiessinger LA. Acne, Rosacea, Folliculitis, and Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Practical Dermatology: Basic and Advanced Topics for Primary Care. Oct 2019, Duluth, MN.
- Fiessinger LA. Pigmented lesions, melanoma, and dermoscopy. Practical Dermatology: Basic and Advanced Topics for Primary Care. Oct 2019, Duluth, MN.
- Fiessinger LA. Trends in nails and laser medicine. Nail Disease Symposium, May 2019, Minneapolis, MN.
- Fiessinger LA. Lichenoid drug eruption to immune checkpoint inhibitor. Minnesota Dermatologic Society, May 2019, Minneapolis, MN.
- Hanson B, Fiessinger LA, Maguiness S, Miller D, Hook K. New onset bullous pemphigoid following bone marrow transplant in a child with recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa. Minnesota Dermatologic Society, May 2017, Minneapolis, MN.
- Hanson B, Fiessinger LA, Hook K. Protein deficiency as a result of dietary restriction in a patient with atopic dermatitis. Minnesota Dermatologic Society, November 2016, Minneapolis, MN.
- Fiessinger LA, Miller D. Disseminated granuloma annulare. Minnesota Dermatologic Society, April 2016, Minneapolis, MN.
Peer-reviewed Oral Presentations at Professional Meetings, Conferences, etc.
- Fiessinger LA. Upper and lower face neuromodulators. American Academy of Dermatology Summer Meeting, Tampa, FL August 2021.
- Fiessinger LA. Dermoscopy, immunotherapy, and systemic treatments for skin cancer. American Academy of Dermatology Summer Meeting, Tampa, FL August 2021.
- Fiessinger LA. Genetics and adjuvant treatments for skin cancer, MDS Subspecialty Certification Exam Prep Course. American Academy of Dermatology Virtual Meeting Experience (VMX), April 2021. Peer-invited.
- Fiessinger LA. Genetics and adjuvant treatments for skin cancer. American Academy of Dermatology Virtual Meeting Experience (VMX), June 2020. Peer-invited.
- Fiessinger LA. Genetics and adjuvant treatments for skin cancer. American Academy of Dermatology 2020. Due to COVID-19 related conference cancellation, this peer-invited presentation was not given.
- Shahwan KT, Totoraitis KE, Fiessinger LA. Atypical nevi in a blaschkoid distribution in a patient with a germline BAP1 mutation. Women’s Dermatologic Society Forum, 2/2020, Scottsdale, AZ
- Fiessinger LA, Padmanabhan A. Descriptive analysis of the diagnostic and treatment approaches used by colorectal surgeons for patients with pruritus ani. Mount Carmel Research Day, 05/2015, Columbus, OH
Poster Abstract Presentations
- Fiessinger LA, Petukhova TA, Gerstenblith MR, Honda K, McCormick TS, Cooper KD. Quantification of MDSCs within primary melanoma tumors. Society for Melanoma Research 2013 Congress, 10/2013, Philadelphia, PA
- Tuy T, Fiessinger LA, Talati A, Kim J, Peacock WF. Bioimpedance Improves the Diagnostic Accuracy for Acute Heart Failure in the Emergency Department. 15th Annual Scientific meeting of the Heart Failure Society of America, 09/2011, Boston, MA
- Zimmerer J, Fiessinger LA, Bumgardner G. CD4+ T cell-mediated Help Directed Towards CD8+ T cells is Not Required at the Time of Transplantation. American Transplant Congress Annual Meeting, 06/2008, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Fiessinger LA, Zimmerer J, Bumgardner G. Unexpectedly CD4+ T cell help both early and late posttransplant contributes to optimal CD8+ T cell cytotoxic effector function. The Denman Undergraduate Research Forum, 05/2008, Columbus, OH
Other Key Presentations, Activities, Accomplishments
- Fiessinger LA, Farah RS. The Aesthetic Consultation and Energy Based Devices: Cases From the University of Minnesota Health Cosmetic Center, April 23, 2019, lecture to Mayo Clinic dermatology residents
- Fiessinger LA. Facial Anatomy. Jan 2019, lecture to University of Minnesota dermatology residents
Dr. Dermoscopy Instagram account aimed at teaching dermoscopy on social media 2020 – Present
Dermatology co-course directors for second year medical students at the University of Minnesota 2021
Medical Student Lectures, Dermatology 2015 – 2018
High School Student Teacher, Molecular Biology DNA Fingerprinting, The Ohio State University 2009
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE AND PUBLIC OUTREACH
Community Service/Civic Activities
Phillips Neighborhood Clinic, Attending dermatology volunteer 2018 – Present
Melanoma Monday SPOTMe Skin Cancer screenings, M Health 2019
Skin Cancer Screenings Minnesota State Fair, M Health 2018 – 2019
Family Medicine Procedure Course, Volunteer Instructor 2018
Family Medicine Procedure Course, Volunteer Instructor 2017
Skin Cancer Screening Volunteer, Aveda Corporate Headquarters 2017
Skin Cancer Screening Volunteer, Aveda Institute Minneapolis 2016
Family medicine Procedure Course, Volunteer Instructor 2016
Skin Cancer Screening Volunteer, Aveda Corporate Headquarters 2015